March 22, 2016

Missing American Food

So I've been in Marburg for over a month now and here are some of the things I miss:

  • American food. The food here is so different and it's very hard for me to find something to eat. We go to the mensa almost everyday for lunch and there are about 4 main dishes but they're all smothered with vegetables. Once a week they'll have bratwurst which is really good, but other than that I usually end up eating potatoes and some weird "pudding." I would give anything for a buffalo chicken wrap. And then there's the macaroni. They have it here but it's almost 2 EUR for each pack and it's decent but still not kraft spirals. I also miss having someone to cook it for me. The phrase should be "watching noodles boil" not "watching paint dry." I also have no room in the freezer to put anything so I can't even get frozen pizza. I know, I know. My life is rough.
  • Having a car. The cheapest way to buy water here is in 1.5 liter bottles. I drink at least one of those a day so each time I go to the grocery store (at least twice a week) I have to buy at least 3. So there I am with my  3+ water bottles, oranges, bananas, eggs, milk, and various other heavy items in my 2 cloth grocery bags and my backpack. Not a big deal if I'm walking out of the store and getting in my car. It is a big deal when I have to walk to the bus stop then basically hike to my dorm and then up 3 flights of stairs. Granted It's only a 7 minute walk, but when I'm weighed down from behind and have bags of mercury in each hand it gets difficult.
  • Sunshine. I was surprised by this one because for years I've always said that I want to live up north one day. I don't think I'm feeling that anymore. We have had 4 days of sunshine since I've been here. FOUR. It also wouldn't be that big of a deal if I had a car because I wouldn't constantly be outside in the freezing and sometimes misting weather. Have you ever been so cold waiting for a bus that your joints and back ache? I have. About 20 minutes ago.
Alright, I'm done complaining. Last weekend we went to Kassel. The walk took about 2.5-3 hours round trip to get to the castle, but this is the view from the top.

This Friday-Monday all 40 something students are going to Berlin so I'm pretty excited. Today I booked my bus pass and hostel for Munich on April 28. We're going to Frühlings Fest which is like a spring Oktoberfest. We haven't booked anything, but during March and April when I only have class Tuesday and Wednesday we're looking at going to London, Krakow Poland (an hour away is Auschwitz), Budapest, and Paris. We're going to save Italy until classes end because we want to spend a week in Rome, Florence, and Venice. After classes end we also want to go to Spain and a Greek island (someone has a friend with family there and they said the islands are completely safe.) So even though I don't have kraft macaroni and cheese I do have a little to look forward to.

In other news, I've decided to change my major. I'm going to be a sociology major with a concentration in criminology. Then, I'm going to get my masters in either criminology or criminal justice and work for a government agency. Basically my new plan is to be happy and enjoy life. Sounds easy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment